Friday, October 17, 2008

On Being A Student / Studentin zu sein

I've made it through a week of Deutsch als Fremdsprache (German as a Foreign Language) classes (three classes each 1 1/2 hours long plus a 45 minute language lab). In addition to being a great language immersion, it is an interesting cultural experience. As far as I can tell, I am the only native English speaker in the group. Most of the students are younger than me, although they don't look like your typical college age student either. There are a lot of Eastern Europeans, some Spanish speakers (both Spain and South America represented), a number of Chinese students, and some Italians. There are about 40 students in the class, although some of those students are on the waiting list. It is a large group.

Being on time for class seems to be optional. A class scheduled for nine o'clock means that the professor shows up at 9:00, unlocks the door so that the dozen students who have shown up on time can go in, and then gets the overhead projector set up, logs into the computer, and makes sure that the LCD projector is working. Students are trickling in, so there's no rush to get things started. By 9:15, homework is collected (I was the only student who used a computer for their 'short text' about themselves, most paper being covered with cross outs and messy handwriting) and the lesson finally begins, although students keep arriving until 9:30 or so. Many of the students, especially the late comers, come with nothing: no pen, no paper, no nothing.

I like the professor for my class. He speaks Hochdeutsch (standard German as opposed to the Salzburg dialect) and explains things well. Of course, with such a diverse group of students, the entire class is conducted in German, which has been just fine so far. The professor reminds me of Robin Williams, both in appearance and in humor, but most people don't laugh when he's funny. I don't know why. He must be used to the messy homework, late arrivals, and unprepared students because it doesn't seem to phase him at all. I guess that's just the way it is here, but it would drive me crazy if I were him!