Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour / Erdestunde

I remember sitting around in the dark last year during Earth Hour, looking out the windows at all the lights that were still on everywhere. This year I find myself doing the same thing, but where as last year turning the lights off also meant no computer use to me, this year I am sitting in the dark with the laptop on my lap.

Started in Sydney, Australia, in 2007, Earth Hour has become a worldwide movement for action against global warming. This year the goal is for one billion people to take part, turning off their lights for one hour. According to the Earth Hour website, Salzburg was supposed to take part, but I've spent a good part of my hour checking the webcam downtown which shows nothing different than normal. What a shame! Turning off the lights is so easy. Don't forget to take part!